Conceptual art

90 years ago, Mar­cel Duchamp did some­thing kind of funny by pre­sent­ing a uri­nal as if it were legit­i­mate art.

The art world responded by repeat­ing the same joke, with slight vari­a­tions, over and over, while pre­tend­ing to take itself seri­ously in the process. Much money was made by sell­ing ran­dom objects to rich suck­ers. Now the whole joke may finally be start­ing to fall a bit flat.

Den­nis Dut­ton writes in the New York Times:

The appre­ci­a­tion of con­tem­po­rary con­cep­tual art, on the other hand, depends not on imme­di­ately rec­og­niz­able skill, but on how the work is sit­u­ated in today’s intel­lec­tual zeit­geist. That’s why look­ing through the his­tory of con­cep­tual art after Duchamp reminds me of pag­ing through old New Yorker car­toons. Jokes about Cadil­lac tail­fins and early fax machines were once amus­ing, and the same can be said of con­cep­tual works like Piero Manzoni’s 1962 dec­la­ra­tion that Earth was his art work, Joseph Kosuth’s 1965 “One and Three Chairs” (a chair, a photo of the chair and a def­i­n­i­tion of “chair”) or Mr. Hirst’s med­i­cine cab­i­nets. Future gen­er­a­tions, no longer engaged by our art “con­cepts” and unable to divine any spe­cial skill or emo­tional expres­sion in the work, may lose inter­est in it as a medium for finan­cial spec­u­la­tion and rel­e­gate it to the realm of his­tor­i­cal curiosity.

In this respect, I can’t help regard­ing med­i­cine cab­i­nets, vac­uum clean­ers and dead sharks as reck­less invest­ments. Some­where out there in col­lec­tor­land is the unlucky guy who will be the last one hold­ing the vac­uum cleaner, and won­der­ing why.

But that doesn’t mean we need to worry about the future of art. There are plenty of prodi­gious artists at work in every medium, ready to wow us with sur­pris­ing skills. And yes, now and again I walk past a jew­elry shop win­dow and stop, trans­fixed by a sparkling, teardrop-shaped pre­cious stone. Our dis­tant ances­tors loved that shape, and found beauty in the skill needed to make it —even before they could put their love into words.

Posted in the art world.

1. Candace X. Moore says

I’m hear­ing this sen­ti­ment expressed with grow­ing fre­quency. I’m new to the world of fine art, so prob­a­bly don’t appre­ci­ate the nuances of the com­pe­ti­tion that exists between mod­ern art and clas­si­cal art, but we cer­tainly seems to be in the midst of a turn­ing tide. I’ve seen the shark and I was not moved.

• David Rourke says

Can­dace,

I do like some expres­sion­ist and abstract art. Most con­cep­tual art impresses me as a bad joke.

2. Chad says

Hi David,

I haven’t yet posted here, but I enjoy your blog and I have fol­lowed it reg­u­larly for well over a year. You dig art that looks like a win­dow on the world. That’s cool and it takes skill to pro­duce. The flip side of that is this: All of the other art­work that does not offer a win­dow on the world also takes skill, maybe not the same level of crafts­man­ship, but skill none the less. The world is big enough for all man­i­fes­ta­tions of art. And, if it’s any con­so­la­tion, Mr. Hirst’s art­work is a night­mare for con­ser­va­tors to preserve.

• David Rourke says

Chad,

I like lots of dif­fer­ent kinds of art. Mostly I like visual art that looks like some­thing (i.e., rep­re­sen­ta­tional), but not always.

Find­ing a uri­nal and putting it in an art gallery was a fun joke a cen­tury ago. I see no rea­son to repeat the joke over and over. The rep­e­ti­tion doesn’t make it fun­nier or closer to being actual art.

• Chad says

Hi David,

Obvi­ously, the uri­nal joke isn’t all that deep and even the best joke becomes stale after nearly a cen­tury of con­stant ref­er­ence. But, let’s face it: Dada has been around for a while now. And, it’s not going away any time soon. So, these con­di­tions require my inner artist to ask: Why this is the case? Has the cyn­i­cism and moral decay of mod­ern art less­ened or increased since the New York Armory show? How much respon­si­bil­ity should be placed on col­lec­tors and crit­ics? We should remem­ber that com­mod­ity cri­tiques on art objects (Hirst’s motive) are much younger than the ori­gins of found object art. So, a shark in a tank of preser­v­a­tive does have some con­cep­tual rela­tion­ship to a century-old uri­nal joke, but the uri­nal has a lot more in com­mon with other Duchampian art that declared the death of all nar­ra­tive art. Dis­claimer: I don’t use uri­nals or any other found objects in my per­sonal art. I paint in wax with vary­ing degrees of rep­re­sen­ta­tion. But, I don’t have an issue using found objects as a learn­ing and con­cep­tual tool, espe­cially if some for­mal­ism is tied into the work. My com­plaint is with art pro­grams that teach four years of con­cep­tual art to their stu­dents. That’s expensive…ouch!

• David Rourke says

Chad,

I think we’re in a sim­i­lar place. I don’t like banal, soul­less, ugly, deriv­a­tive art. That’s what most con­cep­tual art is. It also often pre­tends to be “trans­gres­sive” while being as safe and con­ven­tional as it is pos­si­ble to be in an aca­d­e­mic art context.

If you grab some object and incor­po­rate it into an art­work in a man­ner that is orig­i­nal and inter­est­ing, I have absolutely no prob­lem with that.

3. Chad says

I agree that we are in a sim­i­lar place. I thought about this after I wrote my last response: Duchamp really could draw and paint, so the con­text of his joke gets lost in a cul­ture of art that does not require illu­sion­is­tic drawing.

What do you mean by trans­gres­sive? I always thought of con­cep­tual art as more tran­scen­dent than any­thing else (neo-Platonic) . Maybe transendence is a glam­orous repack­ag­ing of trans­gres­sive? I def­i­nitely see pop art as trans­gres­sive, but I think that much of con­cep­tual art is linked to min­i­mal­ism and all of the pseudo-intellectual BS that comes with that genre.

When it comes to found art and object incor­po­ra­tion, I am a huge fan of out­sider art.

• David Rourke says

Chad,

Per­haps the quin­tes­sen­tial exam­ple of “trans­gres­sive” con­cep­tual art would be the Piss Christ. I am not in any way a reli­gious per­son, so it does not offend me cul­tur­ally or reli­giously. It is delib­er­ately offen­sive in a churl­ish man­ner that reminds me of an ado­les­cent doing what­ever is nec­es­sary to offend Mom and Dad. There is noth­ing “brave” about a trans­gres­sive work such as this—in the aca­d­e­mic art world, it is entirely safe to offend Christians.

Now if Ser­rano had cre­ated a Piss Mohamed, that would have been an act of brav­ery. Still banal, but at least brave.

In terms of out­sider art, I find some of it inter­est­ing and valu­able. In other cases, my response tends to be that it is a shame that the artist didn’t have the skill to express his or her mean­ing more effectively.

4. FRANK MISCONE says

Guy walks up to a con­cep­tual artist, looks at his work, and says, “I could do that”. Artist replies, “Yeah, but you didn’t”.
    That’s the only say­ing I know on that.

The nihilism you find in this kind of art is just a tes­ta­ment to our post­mod­ern times, but they are pass­ing. Young peo­ple wish to develop skills instead of learn­ing how to develop smart sound­ing expla­na­tions that cre­ate value in their work. These blogs are a real help to that, as you can’t find real instruc­tion in schools….maybe ateliers….but not schools yet.

Duchamp also did some bril­liant work with symbols/signs in his paint­ings. I’ve always felt he kind of fore­told this ‘con­cep­tual art’ prob­lem and proved it to be foolish…but I don’t think any­one else caught on.

5. FRANK MISCONE says

Rene magritte rather….

6. Tattoo Ideas says

i love Duchamp’s work. i think he had the guts to do thing that oth­ers didn’t.

7. Tintoretto says

Maybe wasnt even Duchamps fault but his fol­low­ers that wanted to cash in the joke.

his paint­ings are ok.

Tin­toretto,

I have no real prob­lem with Duchamp. The joke was kind of funny.

The rep­e­ti­tion of infi­nite vari­a­tions of the same joke by tal­ent­less hacks, on the other hand, is extra­or­di­nar­ily tiresome.

• Tintoretto says

Absolutely

8. Bill says

I actu­ally think the Piss Christ is a fairly com­pelling image and you wouldn’t know it was so trans­gres­sive if you didn’t know what the cru­ci­fix was sub­merged into. Visu­ally, it ref­er­ences the gold leaf that Christ is often sur­rounded by in early panel paint­ings. That said, I am some­what ambiva­lent about it, even though I’m not a reli­gious per­son. The title obvi­ously puts the trans­gres­sion out there.

A lot of con­cep­tual art does leave me cold, but there is a lot of it that is fairly sophis­ti­cated in the use of mate­ri­als, like Wof­gang Laib’s instal­la­tions using metic­u­lously gath­ered pollen.

I per­son­ally love good paint­ing of all types, from real­is­tic to fully abstract. I’m as big a fan of Jack­son Pol­lock or Mark Rothko as I am of Tit­ian, Sergeant, or N.C. Wyeth. I’m still amazed at how much hos­til­ity there is out there toward abstract art. To me that’s sort of like hat­ing music that has no lyrics.

Bill,

In the case of Piss Christ, it seems to me that the medium basi­cally is the message.

I would never con­demn all con­cep­tual art, but much of it is about as vapid as it is pos­si­ble to get.

• Bill says

Actu­ally, the medium is pho­tog­ra­phy, not piss. Is the Piss Christ really even prop­erly defined as “con­cep­tual art?” I’m not so sure. My under­stand­ing of con­cep­tual art is that a large part of it involves ques­tion­ing the object as a com­mod­ity — thus it often involves things that can’t be sold, like per­for­mance pieces, imper­ma­nent things, or earth­works like the spi­ral jetty, the light­ning field, or the run­ning fence.

Like I said, a lot of con­cep­tual art doesn’t do much for me, but a lot of paint­ing doesn’t either (I like your work, BTW, or I wouldn’t keep check­ing in on your web site). I will give any­thing a fair chance, some­thing that comes from my art his­tory back­ground. They always told us to look at the piece and think about it before pass­ing judg­ment. I do end up shrug­ging my shoul­ders and turn­ing away lots of times, but some con­cep­tual art is actu­ally quite beau­ti­ful, and not sim­ple to cre­ate. I thought Dou­glas Gordon’s 24 Hour Psy­cho was pretty inter­est­ing, for exam­ple. I like what I’ve seen of James Lee Byer’s work. There was another piece I saw once at the Port­land Ore­gon art museum by an artist whose name I can’t recall that was very mov­ing, a video instal­la­tion in a dark cor­ri­dor with mul­ti­ple spots where you would stop to see images of var­i­ous peo­ple from a dis­tance fac­ing away from you (a pretty woman, a young boy, an old man, a police­man, etc.). When you stood there, the per­son in the image would turn around and walk slowly toward you until they reached life size, where they’d stop walk­ing. They appeared to be plead­ing, attempt­ing to com­mu­ni­cate some­thing, but there was no sound. When you stepped away, the image per­son turned away and walked back to where they were. My descrip­tion doesn’t do it jus­tice, but it was very mov­ing, enough that I remem­ber it quite strongly over a decade after I saw it. The images were black and white and a lit­tle shad­owy, like it was some­thing you saw in a dream.

My own feel­ing is that con­cep­tual art is like all art in that it basi­cally fol­lows Sturgeon’s law that 90% of every­thing is crap. But there is good con­cep­tual art (what­ever that is) out there by artists who have worked very hard to do what they do.

Bill,

The “Piss Christ” pho­to­graph is of an object con­structed by the artist for the pur­pose of pho­tograph­ing it. I don’t think it’s unrea­son­able to con­sider that an aspect of the medium in this case.

I, too, have seen con­cep­tual art that I liked and found provoking.

9. Bill says

Yes, it is an object con­structed by the artist for pur­poses of pho­tog­ra­phy — but doesn’t this get pretty far away from being a “ran­dom object” selected and thrown in a gallery for “rich suck­ers”? The rich suck­ers part is prob­a­bly on the money, but it was a cho­sen, arranged, lighted, pho­tographed, and printed object, a process that cer­tainly calls for some artis­tic skill. I guess I’m tak­ing issue with the whole idea of “con­cep­tual art” as a cat­e­gory — all art is con­cep­tual in some way after all. For all we know, he may not really even have used urine in the con­struc­tion. I’m play­ing Devil’s advo­cate here, but part of me feels that any art Jessie Helms didn’t like must have some redeem­ing value.

Bill,

I agree that Piss Christ is not quite within the realm of “con­ven­tional” con­cep­tual art. Nor is a com­mis­sioned sculp­ture of Michael Jack­son and his chimp. Con­cep­tual art is the clos­est genre we have for that sort of stuff.

Con­cep­tual art” is a poorly-chosen term, as is “organic food,” “guest host,” and “war on terror.”

I try not to judge art in terms of whether it annoys some­one I don’t like. That seems too much like art for the sake of irri­tat­ing mommy and daddy. On the other hand, I won­der how “Piss Mohamed” would go over? I don’t like Osama bin Laden or Mah­moud Ahmadine­jad, and that would def­i­nitely offend them.

10. tattoo galleries says

Although skill and tech­niques are impor­tant, com­ing up with those crazy ideas also counts for cre­ativ­ity. How­ever, I don’t want to be the guy with the vac­uum cleaner.

11. HarmonyC says

Regard­ing an ear­lier com­ment on art school teach­ing mostly con­cep­tual art: the tide has turned on that one. I grad­u­ated in 2006 and there was already an empha­sis on crafts­man­ship & applied design. Maybe not all schools are doing that yet but I think within 50 years they all will be.

I love this blog btw.

12. student says

You have to remem­ber we have lived in post­mod­ernism and what­ever is going on right now. All these things relate to the time in which they are cre­ated. So paint­ing a real­ist por­trait, land­scape, still life is now banal and bor­ing. I think if you are paint­ing it should reflect what is going on now. I do respect your stance though. Dif­fer­ent things some­times ques­tion or make you appre­ci­ate your view even more.