Grisaille work in progress

Sorry about the very long delay since the last post. That’s for two reasons:

• I’ve been very busy with work, help­ing to raise a three year old, and tak­ing an online grad­u­ate course.
  • I’ve been fin­ish­ing up the large com­mis­sion I started over the sum­mer, and I have allowed that to kind of block my abil­ity to do other paint­ing. That’s just about done, how­ever, so it’s time to move on.

I had a whole day off today, so I took the oppor­tu­nity to start a new painting.

Layover

This is “Lay­over.” It’s 20 × 20”, oil on linen primed with lead white, toned with red earth and raw umber. This is a mono­chro­matic underpainting—a grisaille—which will be glazed over once it’s dry. I used var­i­ous mix­tures of Doak’s flake 1c and Nat­ural Pig­ments black earth (an iron oxide black).

The key is a lit­tle too dark for opti­mal glaz­ing (since glazes tends to darken what they cover). That means I’ll need to paint into the glaze with white to get the lights up.

I’ll keep you posted on this, and I’ll try not to let such a long time pass before putting up other stuff. Unfor­tu­nately, post­ing will prob­a­bly be inter­mit­tent for the fore­see­able future.

Posted in David's work, demo/in progress, oil painting.

Tagged with , , , .

1. Chris says

I’m look­ing for­ward to see how this turns out!

I’m curi­ous as to what you’ll use as a medium for your “couch?”

Chris,

I may just use a couch of wal­nut oil. Oth­er­wise, I rather like the glaz­ing medium from Stu­dio Products.

2. Jane Taylor says

Beau­ti­ful under­paint­ing. We seem to be on a sim­i­lar track. Check out the new work sec­tion of my website.

Do you use any kind of medium in your under­paint­ing? How long does the stu­dio product’s glaz­ing medium take to dry?

Jane,

Sorry about the slow reply. No, I don’t usu­ally use any medium for under­paint­ing, other than a small amount of lead napthen­ate if I want to speed drying.

The glaz­ing medium makes the paint dry pretty quickly—within a day or two in my experience.

The work on your web site is gor­geous, by the way.

3. tina says

love your com­ments. very use­ful. have you tried using flem­ish sica­tive medium. how would you apply it to glaz­ing. thanks so much!!

Tina,

Not sure what medium you’re refer­ring to, so no, I don’t think I’ve tried it.

Just plain wal­nut oil works pretty well for glaz­ing. Apply a thin layer to the dried sur­face of the paint­ing, then wipe most of it off. Glaze away!